DIY: Burlap Garland and Tulle Garland

10:19 AM


Garland
Burlap & Tulle







Cut many many (approximately 4 yards) strips of tulle 2" wide. It helps to fold the tulle in half and then cut your lengths.


Sew down the center of each strip of tulle with a basting stitch. Just when you are about to get to the end of the strip, overlap the next strip onto the previous strip about an inch to create one continuous long strip. (I recommend you do this with only 3 or 4 strips so your garland isn't ridiculously long and hard to work with. You just tie them all together in the end.)


Pull the string at the end to gather the tulle.


Tie the groups of tulle together to make one long string of garland.

Now on to the burlap garland. It's basically the same idea as the tulle garland. First cut many many (approximately 6 yards) lengths of burlap 2" wide.

Using a large needle and yarn, sew through the center of the burlap so that it gathers.



Tie a knot at one end and pull it tight. Twist it a little to add some dimension. You may need to trim the sides a bit since burlap frays easily. You could always apply your homemade Mod Podge on the edges to prevent fraying.

And that's it! The amount of fabric you will need for this project varies on the size of tree you have. We used about 6 yards of burlap and 4-5 yards of tulle for our 8' tree. The more the merrier!


Do you like any other ornaments we have on our tree? We have a pearl bulb tutorial, a lace stenciled bulb tutorial, and a snowy pinecone ornament tutorial.

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Those are beautiful. I'd love to see a picture of the whole tree. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea thank you I bought an entire bolt of burlap for $6 when are JoAnns closed and went into the mall gonna have to dig it out I love the way it looks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! I will definitely be doing this for Christmas this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for these tutorials! what a gorgeous tree!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I like the idea of mixing tulle and burlap on same tree..good contrast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tulle garland! I will be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! I think I have to make a tulle garland for my tree! I love the burlap garland too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful. Could I sew the tulle without a sewing machine? I don't have one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @anonymous- you can totally sew the tulle by hand. Just use a smaller string, or thread using the same hand sewing concept as the burlap. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Careful! The burlap is messy, and REALLY itchy! It was everywhere! But the garland is lovely and goes beautifully with the glittery ornaments I made. Wonderful contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying to make the tulle garland. When I pull the thread it is getting stuck. Any suggestions? I love this idea and my tree needs it :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ cara try thinner thread or a larger basting stitch. Good luck I hope I hope it works for you!! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a beginner with sewing. I believe that my machine only allows me to set stitch to 4. Does that sound right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband is in AF and we are stationed overseas. I decided I wanted something different for my tree this year. I could find garland to match my colors so I bought tulle and made this. The only problem was I didn't have a sewing machine so I had to do it by hand. It turned out great. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a ton of burlap from my wedding table tippets...I am going to make the tulle to keep a bit of our wedding alive at every Christmas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am excited to make these! Can I ask you where you got the pearls that are on the tree as well? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete