DIY: Burlap and Lace Christmas Tree Skirt

10:43 AM



Merry Christmas! Our beautiful farmhouse burlap and lace tree skirt is easy to make and oh so stunning.


We have a video tutorial here AND step by step instructions with a supply list further down this post. Enjoy!

ATTENTION! We are GIVING 1 Tree Skirt away on our Instagram! Enter HERE!







A perfect blend of lace, burlap and muslin come together to create this one-of-a-kind Christmas tree skirt.



Supply List:
*3 yards of burlap
*3 yards of muslin
* thrifted lace table cloths and curtains (approx. 3-4 table cloths)
* Ribbon

We are all about saving money. We found that buying thrifted lace was about $0.25 a yard. That is CRAZY cheap for lace.

Instructions:

Step 1. Wash all thrifted lace and muslin.

Step 2. Make a perfect circle base.

*Using one yard of fabric, create your base. Remember in 9th grade when you used a compass to draw a perfect circle? We used the same concept, using a string and two pencils.

* For this tree skirt, the circumference of your base should be 36". This means the radius is 18".

* In order to make your compass, cut a string 37" and tie it together at the ends. Once tied, the length of the string will equal 18". Hey, that's the radius!

*Hold one pencil in the center of your fabric and extend the string to make it taut. While holding the center pencil still, begin outlining the circle onto the muslin.

* Cut out the circle.

* Using a small plate as a pattern, trace a circle in the center. Our plate was 7.5" wide. (The width of your plate may determine where your fabric lays in the end.)

* Make a straight line from the edge of the center circle to the edge of the large base circle.

* Cut through the base along the line and cut out the center circle.


Step 3. Make Layered Ruffles

* There will be 7-8 rows of ruffles depending on the width of the plate you used for the center.

* In order to determine the length of each ruffle we used the geometric formula,
((2 x radius) x 3.14)2

* Here are the measurements for each row starting from the outer most edge of the base:

Row 1 - 226 inches
Row 2 - 194 inches
Row 3 - 169 inches
Row 4 - 144 inches
Row 5 - 119 inches
Row 6 - 94 inches
Row 7 - 69 inches
Row 8 - 43 inches

* Each row is 8 inches wide.



* Use a basting stitch about 1/2" from the top to create a ruffle on each row.


* To ruffle burlap, use a large needle and yarn.



* Pin the outer most layer 1/2" up from the edge.


* Sew in place

* The remaining rows should be spaced 2" apart from the previous row when pinned and sewn to the base.



* After each row is added, sew ribbon on the top opening edges. Use desired length.




* Mod Podge the edges of the burlap to prevent fraying.


That's it. Now you can "Dress" up your tree!





Thanks again for letting us share our ideas as creative guests on U-Create. Happy Crafting.

If you have any questions on how to make this tree skirt, or want to learn how to make any other festive tree decor that you may have seen in this tutorial, come check us out at Do It Yourself Divas.


You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Beautiful Tree skirt, love the ruffles! I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh.. so pretty! I love the combo of the burlap and lace. Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking of doing this by re-purposing a lace window treatment in our guest room (left here by previous owners...2 floor-length lace panels plus a lace valance). Not in love with it as a window treatment, but I'm wondering if cutting it up would work for this tree skirt. The only thing that concerns me is not all the edges will be finished (since I'd have to cut it up into strips to make ruffles), so it would unravel. Would decoupaging the edges work for the lace, too? I'm all about re-purposing stuff so I'm wondering about your thoughts. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anne - It will work just beautifully. We made a few for Stephanie without the finished edges and we didn't even have to use the decoupage. It wouldn't hurt to put decoupage there though. Most of the lace that we found and repurposed for this project was thrifted table clothes and curtains. Happy Sewing and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for your help! i'm thinking i'll still decoupage the edges in case my toddler tries to pick at them. :o) if i don't win the giveaway i'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a DIYer yet... I hope to be one day... do you sell these tree skirts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @brittany- we would love to make you a skirt. Please email us at diydivas2@gmail.com and we can better discuss price and payment . Thanks for your interest. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this great inspiration. I've made one and can't wait to share it on my blog. Will definitely give a link back when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will try and make this using a glue gun as I don't have a sewing machine. Wish me luck. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this project & I already have the burlap & muslin. The question I have is, maybe I missed it but how wide did you cut the ruffles & are they all the same width?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @annonymous- 8 inches wide! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finished my tree skirt and it is gorgeous! I made it by hot glue gun for my daughter and she absolutely loves it. She said she's going to hand it down to her daughter. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Just wanted to let you know I finished this treeskirt and it is gorgeous. I did have to hot glue gun the entire skirt, as I don't have a sewing machine, but it turned our beautiful. My daughter absolutely loves it and said she will pass it down to her daughter. Thanks for inspiring me to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is super duper cute! Just wondering how wide you cut the burlap and lace and muslin for each row? I want to make this with my sister this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! Can you tell me how wide to cut the burlap, lace and muslin for each row?

    ReplyDelete